Filed under Student Life

Model UN holds Annual Conference

Staffers explain the format of a crisis committee to members of the War of the Roses. The brief training session ensured that all delegates were aware of how a crisis committee runs.

Ricki Le

The White Station Model UN club held their fourth annual WSHSMUN conference on Saturday, Sept. 22. Ahmed Motiwala (12) and Arjun Raj (12), the co secretary generals of the club, ran the conference.

The day kicked off with a talk from Dr. Catherine Phipps, the Director of International Studies at the University of Memphis. In her speech, she discussed her time spent living abroad in Japan and her work with the U of M. She encouraged students to continue to pursue their interests in global studies.

After the presentation, the delegates broke off into various meeting rooms to begin their respective committees. With nearly 100 students in attendance the conference had several committees which covered topics ranging from ISIS black market trading to water-borne illnesses.

Each delegate had the option to make a donation to UNICEF, the United Nations Children’s Fund, and the committee that raised the most money won a prize. The World Health Organization committee members raised over 80 dollars towards UNICEF, and they were rewarded with privilege of throwing pies in the faces of Yash Khiraya (10) and Shridhar Athinarayanan (12).

In each committee, the co-chairs chose one best delegate, one outstanding delegate and one verbal commendation. After the awards were presented, Raj closed WSHSMUN IV.

“Your commitment to pursue the wonders of international politics as well as honing your debate skills,” Raj said, “is what makes Model United Nations not just enjoyable for me, but for every delegate in this room.”

• Model UN holds Annual Conference

Teen juuling: a national addiction crisis

• Model UN holds Annual Conference

White Station students debut their music via SoundCloud

• Model UN holds Annual Conference

MEMPHO Music Festival: a second year success

• Model UN holds Annual Conference

Fantasy football frenzy returns

• Model UN holds Annual Conference

New coach leads Lady Spartan soccer to another solid season

• Model UN holds Annual Conference

Spartan equestrians saddle up for competition

• Model UN holds Annual Conference

Celebrity tragedies prompt hard discussions about addiction

• Model UN holds Annual Conference

Spartan pushes limits with parkour

• Arts & Entertainment

Marching band’s leadership revamped

Model UN holds Annual Conference