Filed under Sports

Early commitment sends Duncan twins to Memphis

Back to Article
Back to Article

The Duncan sisters pose for a picture after a soccer game with their club, Lobos. The twins have been playing together since age three and committed the University of Memphis mid sophomore year.

SUE PRIESKORN/USED WITH PERMISSION

SUE PRIESKORN/USED WITH PERMISSION

SUE PRIESKORN/USED WITH PERMISSION

The year was 2003. Two little twin girls took their first steps onto a soccer field, unaware of how this sport would later impact them. Playing together since they first ran across their church recreation field, Grace and Caroline Duncan (12) have devoted their lives to soccer. Through hard work and dedication, the Duncan sisters committed to play soccer at the collegiate level as sophomores, an achievement only few athletes accomplish.

The twins began the recruitment process when they entered high school, proving their devotion to the sport. After researching potential colleges, they emailed numerous coaches and invited them to their tournaments. When the coaches from the University of Memphis watched the girls at their club tournament in Orlando, Florida, they expressed interest in the girls in early January, 2016.

The U of M coaches invited the girls to tour the campus, watch the team practice and interact with the current team members. When the Duncans visited mid-February, they fell in love with the campus, community and soccer team. They believed Memphis was the place for them.

“They had said we need a decision by the end of the sophomore year.” Caroline said. “That’s why we committed so early. We knew we had to make a decision soon, and we were ready to make a commitment to Memphis.”

The twins have played on the same team since the beginning of their soccer career at age three. This has allowed them to connect extremely well on the field, pushing each other to strive to reach their full potential.

“Growing up with Caroline and doing everything together made us really competitive individuals,” Grace said. “During our recruiting process, we didn’t really care if we separated or stayed together in college, but I am excited that we decided to go to the same college.”
The girls owe their achievements in soccer to the supportive people who have helped them get to where they are today.

“Soccer has brought so many amazing people into my life,” Caroline said. “If I’m being completely honest, I don’t know where I’d be without soccer.”

• Early commitment sends Duncan twins to Memphis

Teen juuling: a national addiction crisis

White Station students debut their music via SoundCloud

MEMPHO Music Festival: a second year success

Fantasy football frenzy returns

New coach leads Lady Spartan soccer to another solid season

Spartan equestrians saddle up for competition

Celebrity tragedies prompt hard discussions about addiction

Spartan pushes limits with parkour

• Arts & Entertainment

Marching band’s leadership revamped