• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

“Black Panther” changes the game for super hero movies

Marvel Studios' BLACK PANTHER
T'Challa/Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman)

Credit: Matt Kennedy/©Marvel Studios 2018

Marvel Studios' BLACK PANTHER T'Challa/Black Panther (Chadwick Boseman) Credit: Matt Kennedy/©Marvel Studios 2018

See caption box

See caption box

After his first appearance in the record-breaking box office hit, “Captain America: Civil War,” Chadwick Boseman suited up again as T’Challa in Marvel’s first black superhero movie, “Black Panther,” premiering February 16.

“Black Panther” brings Marvel fans to Wakanda, T’Challa’s homeland where he has returned to take his place as king. T’Challa soon finds that an old enemy, Erik Killmonger (Michael B. Jordan), is planning to destroy Wakanda and take the throne. T’Challa must team up with C.I.A. agent Everett K. Ross [last seen in “Civil War”] to prevent Wakanda from being dragged into a world war.

This daring and diverse film broke records in the box office opening weekend, making over 200 million dollars its opening weekend. “Black Panther” outsold all other superhero movies in ticket presales, making the Black Panther the top-selling superhero of all time.

Even before the film’s trailer was released, people were already excited for the film’s premiere.

“We see a lot of Iron Man movies and a lot of Spiderman movies, but we’ve never seen a Black Panther movie, so it’s one of Marvel’s first kind,” Myles Robinson (10) said.

As Marvel’s first film to feature a black superhero lead and a predominantly black cast, the film has been dubbed a “cultural touchstone” by critics and has earned a 97 percent “Fresh” score on Rotten Tomatoes.

“This movie may open more doors for black male and female leaders. It might help encourage more black people to go into theatre,” Robinson said.

Another aspect that grasped the public’s attention is the role of women in the film. Oscar winner Lupita Nyong’o, Golden Globe winner Angela Bassett and other well-known actresses portray powerful female warriors and political leaders in the film.

“This will show them that women are just as strong in roles as men are. In this society, it’s very rare that you see that. It will be good for young girls to see that.” Breeze Smith (9) said.

With its action-packed scenes and remarkable casting, “Black Panther” brought a much-needed cultural awakening to the film industry.

• “Black Panther” changes the game for super hero movies

“Wicked”: the story of the Witches of Oz

Does high school stifle creativity?

Don’t wing it: Where to eat wings like a true Memphian

Building engineer sacrifices time for student safety on snow day

• Arts & Entertainment

Marching band’s leadership revamped

Main Story

Multisport athletes manage lifestyle through hard work

Sports

Early commitment sends Duncan twins to Memphis

Viewpoint

White Station senior studying to be a registered nurse

Czech it out: Memphis in May