Veteran substitutes share their experiences

The words “Your substitute will tomorrow will be…” can bring students great disappointment or great relief.

Many substitutes are well known around White Station, but not all have a legacy like Scott,  Rosenblum and Hurt.

Rosenblum stumbled upon the opportunity to substitute teach after attending a workshop to become eligible as a substitute teacher.

“I was here…and they were desperately looking for a sub that day, and I said, ‘Well I, I can sub!’ And that’s my first day…I have been here ever since,” Rosenblum said as she recalled her first substituting experience in 1996.

Scott, a former teacher, was introduced to substituting by the school board in 1990.

“I was a full-time teacher, and I just left my credentials with the board, started subbing,” Scott said.

Mr. Hurt, on the other hand, was introduced to the substitute opportunities by a friend.

“I retired, and I wanted to go to work; I didn’t want to stay at home, and I had a friend that taught over here, and he got me involved with subbing, and I’ve been doing that since 1998,” Hurt said.

Substitutes have had their fair share of classroom mischief but, overall, feel fortunate to interact with the students.

“Well, I think what you have to do is be respectful to them…just get to know them and see them and talk with them…and try to be their friend,” Hurt said.

The students are just as fond of them. Rachel Thomas (11) looks forward to greeting Hurt every time she sees him.

“When he sees you in the hallway, he remembers your name, and he talks to you and asks you how life is going,” Thomas said.

Scott subs for many schools and taught in Arkansas for a time, but when asked how White Station compared to other schools, he replied, “Better than any place else.”

The substitutes of White Station have a legacy here and continue to teach students while putting smiles on their faces.