Student Entrepreneurs

Michelle Oropeza

Michelle Oropeza makes trendy jewelry for her customers in the comfort of her own home.

Movies, football games and going out to eat. These are some of students’ favorite things, but they all cost money. Between school, homework and family, it is hard for students to find a good job that is flexible with their schedule, but some White Station students have found a solution to this problem.
Students are turning to starting their own businesses so they may work on their own schedule. This is just one of the many benefits that these students have discovered in running their own businesses.
Travis Thornton (11) and Michelle Oropeza (12) are among those students.
Thornton runs a landscaping business that he started back in fifth grade. It started out with a few of his neighbors asking him to mow their lawns, and it turned out to be financially successful. Now, Thornton has his own equipment and sometimes even hires other neighbors to assist him on jobs.
“It’s been a really good experience learning to manage money and clients and that sort of thing,” Thornton said.
Oropeza has been making jewelry since she was in elementary school, but she decided to make a business out of it last year. She started out making jewelry for herself, but her friends recognized her talent and wanted her to make trendy jewelry for them as well.
“I finally decided to start selling so it could bring me extra money while doing something I like,” Oropeza said.
Since they do not work for anyone, Oropeza and Thornton have found it much easier to balance work and school than if they had standard jobs.
“It’s not so hard balancing everything since I mainly do Memphis area, and I try to get them done quickly and over the weekend,” Oropeza said. “It’s something I enjoy, so I don’t put it off.”
Both students have learned a lot from these businesses, and they have even been able to get insight on what they want to do in the future.
“I’ve looked into business management, [and] I’ve thought about accounting…because I do like handling finances, like budgeting,” Thornton said.
Student businesses are a great way for students to give back to their peers and communities in an unconventional way, and it also can help them plan for their future better.