Memphis eats

Most people have heard of Memphis’s big-name restaurants like Corky’s and Huey’s, but there are some lesser-known Memphis eateries that are delicious and affordable for WSHS students. After asking students about their favorite ‘hole-in-the-wall restaurants,’ there were some that were particularly popular with the student-body: Ryu Sushi Bar, Otherlands Coffee Bar, and One and Only BBQ.

Ryu Sushi Bar is a steakhouse and sushi restaurant located on 5137 Summer Ave. Ryu has a wide variety of foods to choose from. Karema Al-Hallaf (12) notes that the Ryu employees are very helpful to those who aren’t well acquainted with sushi.

“It’s nice, and it’s really inexpensive, and it’s local, and I’m all about shopping local,” Al-Hallaf said.

From shrimp tempura to the Tootsie Roll, Ryu gives reportedly enjoyable options, and if you’re worried about spending a lot of money, don’t be. Ryu Sushi Bar is affordable for high school students.

“You can go up there and spend less than $10 sometimes,” Al-Hallaf said.

Otherlands Coffee Shop
Eva Winfrey
Otherlands Coffee Shop

On 641 Cooper St., Otherlands gives live music and spectacular food a good reputation. With a gift shop, coffee bar and low-priced foods, Otherlands is a great place for students on a budget. Otherlands has frequent live music nights which attracts lots of customers. Olivia Daniel (12) said “I’ve never had a bad experience.”

Last, but not least, One and Only BBQ has two convenient locations in Memphis: 1779 Kirby Pkwy. and 567 Perkins Ext. One and Only BBQ offers high quality Memphis-style barbeque at great, affordable prices. The food is “the bomb diggety” according to Carlissa Wrushen (11).

“The brisket sandwich is the best,” Wrushen said. “They put the perfect ratio of fat and meat on the sandwich, and the barbecue sauce is delicious.”

One & Only BBQ
Eva Winfrey
One & Only BBQ

Otherlands, One and Only BBQ and Ryu Sushi Bar aren’t the only restaurants in Memphis with low prices and great food. Tune in to whitestationscroll.net for more Memphis Eats.