From the station to the capitol

Rachel Kennedy

TN students debating issues in the Tennessee House of Representative in Nashville.

For the 63rd year in a row, the YMCA has held another successful Youth in Government conference at the Tennessee State Capitol Building in Nashville. Over 850 students from high schools all over TN attended this four day conference in Nashville. Students are taught lifelong lessons about politics and social service through the emulation of our state government. Students debate issues facing our state today and provide solutions through creating different policies. 6 students from White Station attended this year. Zachary Roder (10) is one of these students that attended this conference for the first year in his high school career. Roder won both “Outstanding Statesperson” and “Outstanding Bill” awards.

“During YIG, I learned the inner machinations of our state legislature; for that, I am grateful,” Roder said.

White Station coach and biology teacher Mrs. Rachel Kannady also attended this conference as the advisor of the club. She has been advising this club since 2010.

“It’s both one of the most challenging and body rewarding program we participate in at WSHS. Being on the awards committee at YIG means I have to diplomatically compare our students to those from across the state, while also trying to advise my delegates to do the best they can to remain competitive and still learn. It’s been awesome watching the program grow since I was a delegate and later a college staff,” Kannady said.

This club currently only has 6 members and is not very well known around this school. However, Mrs. Kannady and other students in the organization are looking to recruit and expand the WSHS Youth in Government Program for the upcoming school year.

“I’m hoping next year to have a much larger delegation from WSHS and bring home more awards and newly elected officers!” Kannady said.

The opportunities that this club opens for its members are incredibly impactful and has opened up students to politics and social service as a whole.

Members of WSHS Youth in Government:

Keyana Hatamzadeh

Rowan Green

Bethany Dockery

Zachary Roder

Joseph Boughter

Keyarash Hatamzadeh

Awards and Achievements awarded to 2016 WSHS YIG Delegates:

• Outstanding Statesperson: Zachary Roder
  • Outstanding Bill: Zachary Roder and Joseph Boughter
  • Bill Passed into Law: Keyarash Hatamzadeh and Bethany Dockery