Reaching readiness

Maya+Rashad+and+Jordan+Dodson+at+a+summer+session.+

Maya Rashad and Jordan Dodson at a summer session.

REACH Memphis is an organization that prepares talented students for the academic, social and professional aspects of college.

“REACH Memphis looks for students who are diligent and who show potential for their future,”  Ja’Sean Holmes (11) said.

There are approximately 200 students in the program and about 20 of them attend White Station. Students in the program benefit from college campus visits, ACT and SAT prep classes and other workshops about college readiness.

Sophomores and juniors can apply in the fall semester focusing the rest of the school year on preparation for college summer programs. Returning juniors and seniors dedicate their school years to college readiness and development. Students attend workshops where they learn how to develop a professional image and create a “personal brand” for themselves.

“[REACH Memphis] shows you how to be responsible and ignites a passion inside of you to want to be the best you can be,” Jordan Dodson (11) said.  

Besides learning the basics behind the college application process, students become more well-rounded individuals and more involved with the world around them.

“It takes you outside of this high school bubble and puts you in a real world situation so that you can learn from it and become more open-minded and accustomed to the world before you’re blindly thrown into it,” Dodson said.

Although REACH Memphis may seem similar to Bridge Builders, the programs explore two different concepts. Bridges encourages leadership and making impacts on the community, while REACH is mentally preparing their students for the journey that is college.

“REACH Memphis has been one of the best experiences of my life thus far, and I truly believe that it will benefit diligent and committed students who may join this program in the future,”  Holmes said.