Black History at White Station

Chelse Rice (12), during a dance to Maya Angelou’s poem “Still I Rise.”

On March 8th, students performed acts celebrating black culture in the annual Black History Program, which all students attended during their second and fourth periods. The program showcased poets, speakers, singers and dancers from various backgrounds.

TaTyana Williams recited the poem “Loud Voices” by April Wells, while Sheena Abdur-Rasheed performed an original piece “Atlantic.”

Students from David Boone’s 6th period class gave a rendition of Martin Luther King Jr.’s famous “I Have a Dream” speech, where each student spoke a few of the famous lines.

Kayla Wilburn sang “Un-break My Heart” by Toni Braxton to celebrate Motown. The White Station Choir also gave a performance of “Stand by Me” and “Hold On” with Charles Seaton, Katie Miller and Jordon Dodson singing solos.

Students Chelse Rice, Imajine Lias and Lauren Taylor performed two dances: one to Maya Angelou’s famous poem “Still I Rise,” and another to a remix of  the acclaimed ballet “Swan Lake.”

To end the performance the White Station Showstoppers performed a tribute to hip-hop which included “Formation,” “Walk it Out” and “The Humpty Dance.” Each piece celebrated a unique aspect of African American culture and the students who performed them.