Rudie Frye’s Commitment

It is never a beneficial situation when your girlfriend’s dad dislikes you. Zoron “Rudie” Frye (12) found himself in this situation when he discovered that his girlfriend, Akiana Amos (10), had a step dad that was not very fond of the senior cornerback for White Station’s football team. This led Frye to extreme measures.

“[Her step dad] got on us pretty bad,” said Frye, “ I ended up having to write a letter to her dad.”

He was not going to write just any letter, though. Frye decided to write a three page paper to salvage his relationship with Amos, which by the end of the letter looked more like an essay.

Commitment has never been a weakness to the Auto Zone Liberty bowl All-Star. If Frye believes in something, he will not give it up. Not his girlfriend. Not when a freak hip injury almost took away his ability to walk. Not when a coaching change meant a position change. Not even when that same year got off to a rough 0-3 start.

A new chapter in his life will soon open up at Southeast Missouri State University, where the senior has accepted a football scholarship. One thing still remains central to Frye, though- his level of dedication.

Even though his parents don’t have a background in sports, Frye took an interest in football at a young age. By the time he turned eight he was already a member of the Orange Mound Wildcats, the local Peewee team.

He was not just a football player, though. Basketball was also a passion of Frye’s. When he was in the fifth grade during a pick-up basketball game, he suffered a hip injury that impaired his ability to walk.

However, after only two weeks he was able to walk again and after six weeks he was able to play football again.

Due to his commitment to the rehabilitation process Frye was able to return for his sixth grade football season at John B. Freeman Middle School. Here, he was not restricted to one position. He was both the team’s starting quarterback and the starting safety.

Even after success at the quarterback position in middle school, Frye decided to stay on the defensive end in high school. The reason was because of his passion for contact. Offense may provide a larger stage to display your skills, but it lacks the passion that comes with playing defense.

“Defense is just so much fun and exciting,” said Frye, “And defense wins games.”

Frye’s first two years of high school were comfortable. Coming off the bench he didn’t feel as much pressure that comes with a starting position. He had a coach, in Coach Rutherford, that he shared a close relationship with for several years . He was playing behind a loaded secondary that featured Tony Becton and Jerry Thompson. With Rutherford, the team “had fun and did their thing.” Everything about his first two years of high school was easy. All of that changed after his sophomore year.

Due to various allegations, Coach Rutherford was forced to resign as the head coach of the White Station football team, which left a crater-sized void in the coaching staff.  Next in line was Coach Joe Rocconi whose more stringent coaching style was the antithesis of Rutherford’s.

The coaching change also meant a position change. The long time safety made a switch to cornerback, a position where speed and endurance are virtuous.

“[At cornerback] I was closer to the [wide receiver] so I just had to be quicker on my feet,” said Frye.

Eventually the switch made the team better as a whole. Frye’s football IQ, reaction time and pure speed were the perfect combo for the cornerback position. Teammates rarely had to worry about Frye’s side of the field because his man was almost always locked down.

Defense became a staple of the White Station football team. Throughout the 2013 season, Rocconi’s first year, the Spartans allowed 14 points or less seven times.

The success on the defensive end regressed last season after the loss of a huge portion of the starters.

Even after the Spartans finished 4-7 there were signs that the defense was imposing. In all four of White Station’s wins they held their opponent to less than two touchdowns.  A lot of that defensive success was in part because of Frye.

The Spartans lost two defensive players- Anthony Upchurch and Petera Wilson- to Division 1 football programs. Right when Rocconi’s team thought the defense was aggravated enough Ridgeway transfer cornerback Brian Thomas transferred. This left Frye as one of the only players left on defense with starting experience.

His success last season did not transfer into wins, but he was truly rewarded after the season with a bid to the Auto Zone Liberty Bowl High School All Star game, which features the top 84 seniors in the Memphis area. He also received honorable mention All-Region.

The awards and the honors are only a product of the commitment Frye has shown. Without sticking with White Station after Rutherford left, he may not even have had the chance to play D-1 college football. Now, with football season only a few months away, Frye is watching his commitment pay off.