Surprise Attacks Meet Their Match

When asked if she would be able to defend herself from a surprise attack, Madison Roberts (12) said that she would not.

“I’m just going to get a taser with barbs to protect myself,” Roberts said.

As drastic as that may sound, she needs to be able to ensure her safety, especially in a city known for its crime and violence.

Roberts is just one example of many students who do not know how to defend themselves. Students should be educated on the basics of self defense, allowing them to at least buy themselves time for help to arrive.

Michael Cassie, a karate instructor at Faith Baptist Church, trains many students who are eager to learn about self defense. For those who do not have any martial arts experience and find themselves in threatening situations, Cassie encourages them to “use their natural instincts, and use any object as a weapon.”

If there are no useable objects around, the easiest way to fight back from a surprise aggressor is to poke them in eyes. Punch and kick in places such as the face, groin or bridge of the nose, and even use your fingernails to scratch the attacker across the face.

However, Cassie encourages his students to always use any martial arts as a last resort and try to either talk your way out of the situation or run away first.

Memphis Police Officer Darron Smith advises students to run and scream for help, if they have the opportunity. Smith does not encourage fights at school because they can usually be avoided and will only result in disciplinary procedures. However, when faced with a surprise threat, Smith said, “It’s our duty as human beings to protect ourselves from threats, whether it is to run or fight back.”

Smith encourages all students to learn some form of self defense, whether it is karate, taekwondo, judo or even boxing, so try searching for local martial arts classes on the internet. Having basic knowledge of a martial art is much better than no experience at all, unless you are going to use self-defense weapons such as mace or even just a big stick on the ground.

It is good to be prepared to defend yourself because you will never see a surprise attack coming.