Affirmative Action reconsidered

Look around.

White Station is a microcosm mimicking America. We have diverse representations of the world’s various cultures, and it’s great. We are what many strive to be. But, does the pursuit of balance come at a cost?

Affirmative action is the process of giving more opportunities to those who suffer from discrimination based on race and sex. The idea behind affirmative action is perfectly plausible. Historically, minorities, such as blacks and women, have needed that push to get through the door.

But perhaps we’ve outgrown the need.

Most of us associate affirmative action with college admissions. We see it as the idea that some will get in simply because they are minorities. Though it’s not so simple, this view holds some truth.

America preaches equal opportunity for all; America encourages– pushes– for diversity. Yet when a well-off minority student who can pay for college, who has not overcome significant obstacles, is given precedent over a low-income white male who has overcome obstacles, there is something wrong.

When a student with a barely-cutting-it ACT score and a few extra-curricular activities is given precedent over a student with an ACT score just shy of perfect and is extremely well-rounded, simply because the former student is a minority, there is something wrong.

Race or gender can be the determining factor on applications when deciding between two equally qualified candidates. This I understand. Colleges want to meet the quota and fulfill their affirmative action policies. At the very least, it makes them look good.

Here’s an idea: get rid of the race question and the gender question on applications. There should be no place for them in college admissions. Students should be admitted to college based on merit and their own unique qualifications. Not on gender. Not on color.

America is supposed to encompass equality for all, but there is nothing equal about the current state of affirmative action. Our flawed system requires reform.