Volunteering for the Holidays

During the season of giving and receiving, White Station High School students have been busy giving their time to help and support others.

The UNICEF club was founded in hopes of benefitting children in need around the world. In the Share the Spirit of Giving Packing Party, students packaged boxes of school supplies with Volunteer Mid-South. Senior Ruby Arora, president of UNICEF, said, “They’re given to some of the more impoverished elementary schools in Memphis.”

UNICEF has been volunteering with NHS at Starry Nights.

JROTC students have been busy organizing their Canned Food Drive, which benefits the MidSouth Food Bank. After the cans were collected from the classrooms, students in JROTC separated the cans into categories.

Vienetta Davis (11) simply explained her reasons for participating: “To help people who need food.” JROTC also coordinated White Station’s coin drive to support relief efforts in the Philippines.

National Honor Society students have also worked with the MidSouth Food Bank for their Turkey Drive. In its first year, the Turkey Drive has already raised $1,300 dollars in just over a month. With 106 students participating so far, the society’s goal is to get 100% student participation.

NHS sponsors, Reagan Ryder and Daphne Warren, wanted to organize a volunteering service to “donate in a way students are able to provide,” and make it possible for most students to participate.

The Make-A-Wish Club has been doing coin drives, bake sales, and car washes to raise 5,000 dollars to provide a wish for one sick child. The club has raised the money and fulfilled a child’s dream each year.

The club had a coin-drive in all lunches from November 25th to the 26th and a bake sale on December 5th.  And on December 11th, they will host a Spirit Night at Chipotle (near Panera on Poplar) from 5-8. A percentage of the sales will go to the Make-A-Wish club.

The club was founded four years. Today, about 25 students actively participating. English teacher Sandie Whittington said that being asked to be the sponsor of the club was a “bittersweet proposition.” Because she had a child who received a wish herself, Whittington could not say no.

Ms. Oster’s third period English class held the Winter Wear Drive from December 3rd to the 6th. The seniors collected packs of socks, gloves, hats, scarves, and winter coats. The class with the most donations was rewarded with a food party.

The FCCLA ran its annual Souls for Soles drive again. Their goal was to raise 1,000 pairs of gently used shoes.

Volunteering programs are continuing throughout the year. Be sure to donate to those who are in need this holiday season.