Can’t stop, addicted to the shindig

Elissa Todd

Roman Darker (11) and Joey Graham (Christian Brothers High School) play their original song “Oh, Brother” at the Hard Rock Café with their band, Jimmy Shindig and the Windchimes.

Music is one thing that Memphis has never lacked. However, it is a more special occasion when the music in question is the work a high school band. Funky riffs and jams that make you want to get out of your seat and move are unavoidable when watching Jimmy Shindig and the Windchimes.

A group of Christian Brothers High School students started the band about a year ago, adding White Station junior Roman Darker as their lead guitar player shortly after.

Over the past year, the group has played around Memphis at various venues and competitions including Joe’s Crab Shack and the Crafts Fair. Their biggest gig yet was at the Hard Rock Café in late September.

We’re pretty much open to anything that comes to us,” said Darker. Most of the band’s gigs have come from people who heard them play and liked what they heard, asking the group to play again somewhere else.

At first [performing] was scary as anything,” said Darker. “When you know your stuff the only problem is keeping focused.”

Jimmy Shindig’s growing fanbase loves its easy and fun atmosphere. When looking out over the crowds at Jimmy Shindig events, they are full of both adults and high school students.

When you’re playing in front of people and you can tell they’re enjoying it and they start dancing, then you start enjoying it and you start dancing. That’s really fun.” said Darker.

We all work together [to write] the music and our lead singer always writes the lyrics but we all contribute.” Darker said of the songwriting process.

With six original songs and a self-recorded CD of three originals and three covers, the group is quickly spreading their name.

Social media definitely helps with that. You can reach many more people today,” said Darker. “There were probably some really good bands a long time ago that didn’t get discovered because nobody heard them. Now everyone has a way to put their music out there.”

The group spreads their music through their Facebook page, “Jimmy Shindig and the Windchimes,” which is approaching three hundred “likes.”

The band next plays at the Christian Brothers Battle of the Bands where the winners receive radio play, a music video, and free recording time in a major studio. Who knows? It wouldn’t be the first time a world-famous band has sprung up out of White Station.