• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Filed under Student Life

Local comedian: Avery Davis

Avery Davis (12)

Avery Davis (12)

Jerin Alam

Jerin Alam

Avery Davis (12)

Comedian Avery Davis (12) is known to uplift the student body with a cheerful joke whenever he does the announcements in the morning. Drawing inspiration from a Chris Rock comedy special on Comedy Central, he began writing jokes in sixth grade. After seeing the audience’s standing ovation for Chris Rock’s performance, Davis knew that he  wanted to be a comedian.

“I saw how the crowd responded to me and decided that is what I wanted to do with my life,” Davis said.

His first gig was the White Station Middle School talent show in 2012; Davis won first place and got a standing ovation. Now Davis can be found performing at places such as Mott n Ed’s, 300 South Main St., The Butcher Shop, White Station Middle School and the Chuckles Comedy Club.

His jokes are often about his life experiences, with underlying themes about school or relationships. Jokes on topics such as races, gender, sexual orientations and handicaps are thought to be inappropriate,however, comedians such as Davis believe such jokes are often cathartic for the audience.

“In a nutshell, I say what everyone thinks but feels uncomfortable voicing. When I see a situation, I immediately am drawn to the humorous side of it. I speak directly to the crowd and I act as a voice of the people,” Davis said.

Comedians shed light on controversial issues, ridding the audience of pre-existing tension in regards to a certain subjects. Making all of the audience laugh is not the ultimate goal for Davis.

“Although I love evoking positive reactions, I base the effectiveness of my jokes on overall crowd reception. If 100% of the audience laughs at a joke, it isn’t effective. That’s what I refer to as ‘white bread comedy’,” Davis said.

Davis has also featured in a number of school plays; his interest in performing in theatrical productions peaked started in middle school at the hands of past theater teachers. Theater teachers in high school also played a big role in his desire to act, and they urged him to participate in school productions.

His friends, who often perform alongside him, enjoy watching him doing what he loves, whether it is his role as a comedian or an actor.

“I always enjoy working with Avery in performances. He has a gift for capturing life as it is and twisting it, making him an incredible comic,” Sage Scott (12) said.

Davis sees himself pursuing a long-term career in comedy beginning with regular performances at Chuckles Comedy Club’s weekly open mic night. His goal is to get his own HBO or Netflix specials, sell out arenas, and even be mentioned with the comedy greats such as Chris Rock, Dave Chappelle, Eddie Murphy and Redd Foxx.

While he is still developing his comedic career, one thing is for certain: his quick-witted comedy has left a lasting mark upon his classmates and teachers here at White Station.

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

You Checking? Hallway Culture

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

What’s the right thing to say?

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

Bend it like a Lady Spartan

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

Main Story

La Raza Unida: A united race

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

Sports

Track and Field 2017

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

Scope of Woke: History of Socially-Conscious Rappers

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

Sports

Bases Loaded: Spartan Softball 2017

• Local comedian: Avery Davis

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

Local comedian: Avery Davis