• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Designing creativity through AP 3-D

Art programs are consistently becoming less important in the scope of the educational curriculum. However, White Station has recently introduced a new course reversing this trend.

Advanced Placement 3-D Design, taught by David Pentecost, is leading not only budding artists but also art enthusiasts to develop, hone and present new skills. Currently, White Station is the only Shelby County School that offers all three AP art classes available.

The class is a first of firsts, and there are drawbacks to this position. There is no prerequisite for the course, and other classes cannot prepare any student for the types of material they could possibly work with.

On a positive note, this class is allowing students to express themselves in ways they would not have otherwise. Students so far have been working with materials such as plaster, polymer clay, embroidery and a multitude of other supplies and mediums.

“Everyone gets the opportunity to make their own path,” Pentecost said, “you earn the freedom to create your own work by being diligent and deeply considering what you’re bringing to the table every day.”

The class and curriculum itself are controlled by the students. There are no set guidelines students have to follow, allowing their imaginations to run wild.

“In this class, you have a lot more room to be creative,” Kayla Green (12) said, “with this class, everyone is doing their own thing. You’re never stuck to do one thing at one time.”

Although the course is independent and students have control of what they produce, it is still an Advanced Placement class. At the end of the year, students will present their works to College Board judges and be critiqued based on their works’ quality, concentration and breadth.

According to the College Board website, AP 3-D Design course students will “explore sculptural issues and understand 3-D design principles as they relate to the integration of depth and space, volume and surface.”

Students are learning how to take risks artistically as well as showcasing their ideas in a new and interesting way. They are also learning skills such as photography to showcase their work.

“Students capture work in a more dynamic way, using photography and considering all of the options [they] have,” Pentecost said. “Taking work to the next level by controlling atmospheric aspects, lighting aspects and engaging an entire space.”

This course is sure to help improve students scope on art as a whole as they delve into new ways of creating. If you are interested in joining this class, make sure to mark it down on the next course application sheet.

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

You Checking? Hallway Culture

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

What’s the right thing to say?

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

Bend it like a Lady Spartan

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

Main Story

La Raza Unida: A united race

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

Sports

Track and Field 2017

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

Scope of Woke: History of Socially-Conscious Rappers

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

Sports

Bases Loaded: Spartan Softball 2017

• Designing creativity through AP 3-D

Netflix’s look into teen suicide

Designing creativity through AP 3-D