• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Filed under Sports

What’s the hype?

Daniel Zich launches a disc across the lake during his Disc Golf match

Daniel Zich

Daniel Zich

Outside of the hype of mainstream sports such as football, basketball and baseball, there exists a world of fun, recreational and creative sports that ultimately, anyone can play and excel at. These physical activities range from fan-fiction sports to combinations of multiple sports and almost anything else you could think of.

Disc Golf, often referred to as frisbee golf, is a flying disc game in which individual players throw a flying disc at a target.  It is also classified as a precision and accuracy sport. This sport, like many others, is often overlooked, as it is not a core sport offered at most high schools. However, at White Station, many teachers consider this a core sport for them Daniel Zich and Carriann Niedens are a few of the teachers who practice Disc Golf competitively in their free time.

“I like Disc Golf because it’s inexpensive, you can play it by yourself; you’re outdoors, and you can talk to people while you’re playing,” Zich said.

For Niedens, Disc Golf provides a means of exercise that is fun and allows her to enjoy the outdoors. Competing at the semi-professional level, Niedens plays in a women’s league on Sundays and occasionally participates in competitive tournaments. However, even though she is competing for the best score, Niedens ultimately plays because it is a lot of fun for her.

“Even though I compete for the best score, it’s a lot of fun just to be out there with my wonderful lady friends,” Niedens said.

Besides Disc Golf, there’s a whole world of creative sports that combine and create new sports. For example, Handball is a team sport in which two teams of seven players each pass a ball using their hands with the aim of throwing it into the goal of the other team. This sport is basically a land version of Water Polo. It is usually played indoors, but outdoor variants exist in the forms of field handball, Czech handball and beach handball. The game is fast and high-scoring, with professional teams scoring between 20 and 35 goals a game and it is slowly gaining wide stream popularity in the United States.

Over the years, no other sport has gained mass popularity from children than Gaga Ball. This sport is notorious for being offered at camps that entertain and provide children with fun and social activities. Gaga Ball is a variant or combination of Dodgeball that is played with one hand. Players hit the ball at each other with their hands, and are eliminated if the ball strikes them on or below the knee. Games are typically played in a fenced area referred to as a Gaga-Pit.

All over the world, sports are being invented and modified. Some sports are even being created to satisfy one’s fantasies. With this in mind, everyone has the chance to find a unique sport that fits their capabilities and interests.

• What’s the hype?

What’s the right thing to say?

• What’s the hype?

Bend it like a Lady Spartan

• What’s the hype?

Main Story

La Raza Unida: A united race

• What’s the hype?

Awaken, Gambino

• What’s the hype?

Designing creativity through AP 3-D

• What’s the hype?

Sports

Super Bowl LI

• What’s the hype?

Viewpoint

Single awareness day

• What’s the hype?

Viewpoint

Can you feel the love?

• What’s the hype?

Student Life

We are best buddies

What’s the hype?