Let’s Get Nut Cracking

Just like hot chocolate, cookies and “A Charlie Brown Christmas,” “The Nutcracker” has become a signature part of the holidays, especially here in Memphis. Ballet Memphis has been performing the show for over 25 years, making it a signature in their season since the company first opened their doors.

Composed by Pyotr Ilyich Tchaikovsky in 1892, the show quickly joined the ranks of other famous ballets such as “Swan Lake,” “Sleeping Beauty” and “Don Quixote.” It is now performed annually around the world by companies large and small.

The story follows Clara, a young girl who is magically transported into the world of her Christmas gifts. She is led by a prince through a world of mice, snowflakes and fairies. The stage is filled with beautiful music and dancing from all cultures as the citizens of the Land of Sweets welcome the visitor.

In Memphis, students from around the city are invited to audition for the show. It is not uncommon for students from White Station to be among those on stage. Olivia Rosenthal (12), who is playing a mouse and a supernumerary, has danced with Ballet Memphis for four years, but this is her first year performing in “The Nutcracker.”

“It makes me feel like nothing else really does, and I didn’t really get to experience that until freshman year when I realized how passionate I was about it,” Rosenthal said.

Other students have been dancing with the company since they were young. Emma Henry (9), one of these lifelong students, began performing in “The Nutcracker” in fourth grade. This year, she is also playing a mouse and a supernumerary.

“It’s a way to express yourself in a way words can’t,” Henry said. “I like having something special about myself that I’ve been doing for a long time and feel passion in.”

For students like Rosenthal and Henry, ballet is a vital form of self expression. Platforms like “The Nutcracker” allow students to join together with professionals and with each other in order to put on a valued holiday performance.

“It’s open for all ages [and] all genders,” Henry said. “It doesn’t matter how old or young you are or how much you know or don’t know ballet. It’s something that everyone can enjoy because it has a story, it’s timeless, and it’s really magical for everyone.”