The scoop on the Scribbler

KT Pritchard

Students enjoying the entertainment at the coffeehouse

The Scribbler is White Station’s very own literary magazine as well as a club that runs activities. They put together various forms of art ranging from poetry to songs from White Station students, and is for sale at the end of the year.

Scribbler has a 56-year long history at White Station as one of the oldest clubs, but many students are not aware of what the Scribbler actually is. In fact, that was one of the problems that co-presidents Riley Kelly (11) and Tariq Thompson (12) faced the past couple of years. But through hard work and dedication, this duo and a supportive staff  want to resurrect the club into its full glory.

“Our purpose is to basically celebrate art and talent and sort of give students a way to express themselves,” Thompson said.

Students can contribute to the magazine by simply emailing their work to the Scribbler or by contacting one of the staff members. But the Scribbler is much more than just a literary magazine. They host the renowned Scribbler Coffeehouses that provide an open and friendly atmosphere for any performer wanting to show off their talents.

“Coffeehouses create such a supporting environment and such a fun time that you can just escape to and have a great time,” Kelly said.

One of the merits of coffeehouses is that they allow people who are shy to burst from their bubble and share their talent or art with everyone without any fear of judgement.

Coffeehouses also provide a place for likeminded individuals to mingle. People who do not usually attend athletic events and just want to have a fun Friday night can come to Coffeehouse and bond over a cup of joe.

Muriel Gintz (9) recounted the inspiration behind why she decided to join the club.

“My older sister had gotten me to go to a few of the coffeehouses before I even went to the school, and I really loved the environment there with them,” Gintz said. “And when I became a freshman I got really excited.”

The Scribbler also  has freelancers who are not part of the staff but still contribute to the magazine and Katie Miller (12) is one of them. She is always there to lend a hand at coffeehouses, submit writing and art, promote the club and bring in art and writing from other students. Not only was she given an opportunity to strengthen her writing skills, but she was also able to meet new friends.

“It’s just fun to be in a new group of people and just learn how to work with them because it throws you into a whole new setting,” Miller said.

Scribbler is always looking for submissions to their magazine; you can email them whatever submission you would like- they even accept audio and video. The next coffeehouse will be in January, so be sure to look out for the posters.