• SUBSCRIBE to The Scroll - SIX Issues for only $1

Filed under Showcase, Viewpoint

What’s the right thing to say?

Political+correctness+binds+freedom+of+speech+or+it+allows+opinions+to+be+freely+expressed.+
Political correctness binds freedom of speech or it allows opinions to be freely expressed.

Shridhar Athinarayanan

Shridhar Athinarayanan

“[Mexican immigrants are] bringing drugs. They’re bringing crime. They’re rapists.”

“You could see blood coming out of [Megyn Kelly’s] eyes, blood coming out of her wherever.”

These phrases, spoken by the recent President-elect, show his apathy towards political correctness. With the election over, Donald Trump’s lack of political correctness, still angers many Americans. The election consisted of relentless mudslinging and drama from both parties. In spite of Trump’s caustic comments, he has won presidency.

The concept of political correctness, the avoidance of talking in potentially offensive terms, and its application in society is subjective. Some people see Trump’s political incorrectness as beneficial because he is voicing his opinion on controversial issues when others have previously circumvented them. Additionally, political correctness is seen as an inhibition of freedom of speech; the people following the etiquette of political correctness are seen as unable to freely express their opinions.

“Because of political correctness, candidates are sometimes unable to say what they think because people might attack them,” Karen Gan (11) said. “By being politically

Shridhar Athinarayanan

incorrect to a certain degree, it allows the candidates to tell the truth more, which helps the society, but too much political incorrectness might hurt the society.”

The true issue here is what political incorrectness really entails, whether this incorrectness is blatant disrespect or boldly expressing an opinion. To further the issue, Trump’s words are being directed at marginalized group, burning a specific opinion of him when they are targeted. Political incorrectness has a lasting impression; it etches a certain perspective of an individual in one’s mind. This impression, when negative, causes hatred towards Trump as a politician, but those who see him as influential and bold in his language have helped him garner a substantial following.

“We are a society that has a history full of discrimination and hatred of one’s differences,” Brentley Sandlin (10) said. “Sadly though, we have gone from one extreme to another. While we do not accept hate for each other’s differences, we are scared to even point them out, much less celebrate them out of fear of being misinterpreted. The public is trying to protect each other’s feelings, but they’re overcompensating and erasing our individualities.”

The root problem is that his political incorrectness and that of others has overshadowed their policies on important issues. The major thing to keep in mind is that it is simply human nature to passionately disagree with certain ideas and passionately agree with others, but the disagreements should not become brutal, violent situations. Free speech is a right, but restraint for the benefit of the whole should always be kept in mind.

• What’s the right thing to say?

Bend it like a Lady Spartan

• What’s the right thing to say?

Main Story

La Raza Unida: A united race

• What’s the right thing to say?

Viewpoint

Stressin’ out!

• What’s the right thing to say?

Late night snack

• What’s the right thing to say?

Student Life

The life of a TA

• What’s the right thing to say?

Sports

Bases loaded: 2017 Spartan baseball

• What’s the right thing to say?

Netflix presents “A Series of Unfortunate Events”

• What’s the right thing to say?

Behind the Stage Door

• What’s the right thing to say?

Viewpoint

The first 100

What’s the right thing to say?