The Hebrew Hammer

Beryl Grant is one of the unquestioned leaders of this year’s Spartan baseball team.

The date was April 10, 2014. Beryl Grant, also known as the Hebrew Hammer for his Jewish faith, stepped to the plate in the bottom of the ninth inning in the opening game of the Middle Tennessee Invitational Tournament. The Spartans were tied with the Sycamore War Eagles with the game on the line. After getting behind in the pitch count, Beryl knocked what would be his first high school career walk off game winning hit. Fast forward to 2016, and Grant is now one of the unquestioned leaders of the Spartans baseball team.

“I think it is my job to lead and a set a good example for the younger kids on the team,” Grant said.

After playing third base for the first three years of his high school career, Grant switched to shortstop, displaying his willingness to sacrifice for the team. Although shortstop is a more demanding position and may be different from what Grant is accustomed to, he was not shy to the challenge.

“Shortstop is one of the most important positions, so I have been forced to carry more responsibility and up my game,” Grant said.

Although the baseball program does not receive as much student interest as football or basketball, the baseball program can boast an impressive run over the last decade that has seen consistent competitiveness. Though the Spartans have not advanced past the regional round of the playoffs, the team has reached that round for six consecutive seasons.

“High school sports fluctuate, but I am proud to say we have been a competitive team for the last 10 years. The one thing I am grateful for is this school has kids who want to learn and get better,” Coach Wade Walter, who is in his eleventh season as head coach for the Spartans, said.

As one of the longer tenured coaches in the area, Walter certainly impacts his players. “[Walter] has definitely made me a better player…and he has taught me lessons that will last beyond baseball,” Grant said.

After losing a strong class of seniors that featured numerous starting pitchers in 2015, it was up to this year’s senior class, comprised of Grant, Jim Doster, Steafon Parsons, Terrence McClelland and Reed Young to pick up the slack.

“Losing pitchers was difficult just because we don’t have many this year, but our defense has done a good job making up for it,” Grant said.

While the defensive improvement includes Grant’s switch to shortstop, Walter and the team are hoping for a strong finish to the 2016 campaign.

“I expect [Grant] to finish strong, play hard and stay loyal to his team,” Walter said. He’s a smart player, and I just want him to play hard and show leadership.”

While Grant had high praise for the way Coach Walter has molded him as a player, Walter also certainly had high praise for his shortstop.

“Kids like Beryl Grant are the reason White Station baseball remains competitive from year to year,” Walter said.