Below the line

Poverty is not just a national issue; it is a local issue. Poverty at White Station affects every student on campus whether he or she realizes it or not.

White Station is a Title 1 school, which means that 40% or more students come from low-income families, and the school receives additional funding as a result.

This data is based on census poverty estimates and the cost of education in Tennessee. That means that 878 students out of the 2,196 students currently enrolled in White Station fall into the category of financial need. This number does not include the students who do not meet the standards for the poverty line but still struggle financially.

Although public education is free, there are an infinite amount of expenses that one must pay, including AP fees, senior dues, and even just the cost of school supplies.

For many families, it is difficult to meet the financial expectations for just one of their students in public school. This can lead to performing poorly in the classroom, especially if a student is not able to get the right materials for that class.

Some teachers even take a grade on the supplies a student has, but is that fair to those who do not have the means to get those materials?

Because this can be stressful, students struggling economically are encouraged to ask questions and seek help.

“The thing that we offer is opportunities. If you want to excel, the opportunities are available,” Leslie Fleming said.

There are students at our school who struggle everyday, but despite this, they still have a chance to be the kinds of students they want to be. This year there is a large number of students from all economic situations who are taking AP and honors classes and excelling in them.

“We have some of the wealthiest students in Memphis here, and we have some of the poorest,” Fleming said.

That diversity of socio-economic status is what sets White Station apart. We are a community where all backgrounds join together to learn and work. Although we have diversity, economic status within our school goes deeper than the cost of a free education. It takes a major toll on students socially. Socially and academically, it is important for students to remember that their financial statuses are not what define them, and that there are always options.

“I think it goes both ways,” Fleming said. “I think those that are truly blessed don’t want their peers to know that, as well as those that are truly struggling.”

Poverty is not something to be taken lightly, especially because of the large population of students that it affects, but it can teach every student something about hard work and diversity.