2014 Senior Sports Spotlight

Spartan Soccer: Larry Jones
Spartan Soccer: Larry Jones

Larry Jones is a three- year varsity starter at Center Back for the Spartan soccer team, a team that’s been to State four of the last five years. He is a senior captain this season, and he plays every minute of every game. Larry was voted Best of Preps last year, and will be again this year. Off the field, Larry tutors teammates to help them with their studies and has been instrumental in helping one teammate make it to college. Larry will graduate 19th in his class, and will attend Ohio State University in the fall.

-Coach Jason Love

Lady Spartan Soccer: Lauren Sobral
Lady Spartan Soccer: Lauren Sobral

Lauren Sobral was a four-year starter for the Spartan girls’ varsity soccer team after beginning her career as a volunteer goalie, culminating in a scholarship offer from the University of Memphis. She started every game during her four-year career. Lauren was a team captain her junior and senior Season. Lauren finished her career this fall as the all-time leader in saves for a career, saves in a season, and holds the
record for most saves in one game. Lauren is a leader off the field as well, graduating 16th in her class.
She is a member of the National Honor Society, and has won many art awards including the Beale Street
Music Fest Competition. Lauren is everything a student-athlete at WSHS should be.
-Coach Jason Love

Lady Spartans Basketball: Courtney Banks

Each of the senior ladies played a vital role as members of the varsity girls’ basketball team, while inspiring others toward excellence both on and off the court. As the seniors prepare to graduate, I can’t help but think about who will be my fearless leader next year. Courtney’s senior leadership was outstanding both on and off the court and will be greatly missed. Over the course of the past four years, she has matured and developed into a player whose knowledge for the game of basketball and what it takes to play at the next level is immeasurable. The best leaders often lead by example. Courtney exemplified this with her team pep talks, perseverance, and
aggressiveness both in practices and in games. Although at times it may have been difficult to lead those who didn’t want to follow, she would not take no for an answer. Her mental toughness and heart for the game are irreplaceable.
-Coach Tola Black

Spartan Football: Anthony Upchurch
Spartan Football: Anthony Upchurch

Anthony Upchurch is THE most impressive student-athlete that I’ve coached, taught, or witnessed. He always represents himself, his family, his school and his team in the best way possible at all times, regardless of many people are watching or if he is by himself. Anthony is one of the best natural leaders that I’ve seen; however, he doesn’t let his leadership “just happen.” He works hard at leading by example to his peers and has a passion for helping the path of others.
Anthony Upchurch’s impact on White Station is an enormous one that will last FOREVER! Young men like him don’t come around very often. Mr. Upchurch is one of those men who other student-athletes will be compared to and asked to be like for years to come. It’s already happening now! Anthony Upchurch will be missed dearly, but his mark has been stamped and will make a difference in
our future at White Station.
-Joe Rocconi

Spartan Tennis: Nick Beals
Spartan Tennis: Nick Beals

I have had the great pleasure of having Nick Beals on the boys’ tennis team for the last four years.  He has been an absolute pleasure to coach and spend time with. Nick is the consummate teammate.  He has always been there for his fellow teammates, whether they are having success or are down on their luck. Nick has been a critical part of our program over the last four years. He was a large part of our success last season in helping lead our team to the State Final Four after a four-year absence.  Not only has Nick been a critical part of our success on the court, but he exemplifies what is great about White Station.  He excels in the classroom and is involved in a host of activities inside and out of White Station.  There is no better way to sum up what I think of Nick than this: I can only hope that my two sons grow up to be the man Nick has become and if I am lucky enough to have a daughter one day, I hope she marries a man the quality of Nick!

-Coach Paul Ross

Spartan Volleyballl: Courtney Banks
Spartan Volleyballl: Courtney Banks

Ariel Scott didn’t begin the Lady Spartan volleyball team as a Division I athlete, but she sure finished one! In addition to her accolades on the track team, Ari has been able to receive numerous All-District and Region awards, not to mention a full scholarship to Alcorn State University in Mississippi where
she’ll be playing volleyball this fall. Being one of the first athletes to play under Coach Bradley all four years of high school, Ari has demonstrated the kind of athletic drive and determination that’s seen in the champions we praise and glorify today.
-Coach Jessamyn Bradley